We came across “bill’s profeminist blog” Bill Patrick, the author of the blog, describes himself:
“I am a man who has decided that I can no longer sit idly by while men’s violence remains such a hugely destructive force in the lives of so many women and girls around the world. It is time for us as men to step up and begin to support our sisters in working to end men’s violence.”
His post: “Pro-feminist New Years Resolutions for Straight Guys” is a fantastic list of some beautiful and logical recommendations that all humans should live by.
Here are some of our favorites. Go to his blog to read the full list of 15.
1. To take care of ourselves. For far too long, many of us have been neglecting our physical, mental, and spiritual health. And for many of us who have women in our lives, we have been all too quick to leave these responsibilities in their hands. Women often make our medical and dental appointments for us, and they insist that we take better care of ourselves. And what do we do in response? We get mad at them for nagging us! So let’s take back the responsibility for doing the things that are designed to keep us happy and alive. If we want the women in our lives to be there for us, then we need to ensure we are doing the things that will allow us to be there for them!
5. To do the laundry correctly. You and I both know that we all know how to do the laundry. It’s time to stop feigning ignorance. And for those few guys who actually don’t know how: you can learn to do it! It’s a lot easier than changing the oil, tapping a keg of beer, fixing a leaky toilet, or hooking up that new plasma t.v.
9. To only have sex that we know for certain is consensual. That means that she isn’t drunk, confused, or fearful, and that we aren’t, either. That she hasn’t been manipulated or bullied into it. And neither have we.
11. To settle any conflicts we have in a nonviolent, non-abusive way. This should go without saying. But the reality is that society would be a lot better off if more of us lived this way.
13. To work to eliminate our homophobia. Homophobia destroys our connectedness with all other men. It stops us from loving each other. And we need to be able to love each other deeply. As men we are deserving of being able to give and receive such love – and not just from women.
Bravo Bill for sharing this much needed sentiment.
Learning that there are men out there like you gives us all strength to continue to work towards a society of peace & equality.